Information You Will Need to Hire a Family Lawyer for Child Custody Changes

Posted on: 30 January 2017

One of the first things that a family lawyer looks over during a divorce case is the custody of the children involved. This can be very straight forward if both sets of parents agree, but can become increasingly complicated depending on several factors. What can make child custody even more complicated in the arena of family law is if something changes with the custody to push one of the parents to request supervised custody or changes in the custody agreement to limit the amount of time the other parent spends with the child. If you are seeking a family lawyer for this type of issue, there are a few documents you will need for the initial consultation.

Proof of Reason

You will have to have a reason for the change in custody. In addition to your word, you will also need proof to back up your reasoning. For example, you may want to change custody because you feel like your child is at risk of harm. If you have been to a doctor, received treatment, or have filed a statement with the police, then you will need to bring this paperwork with you. You may feel that the lawyer can look this information up, but unless an arrest has been made, they can't look into anything without your permission. Having the paperwork along with permission to look further into the case can speed up proceedings.

Proof of Identification

You will need to bring identification for yourself and all the parties involved. This means bringing identification for yourself and your children. You will also need records to show where they currently live and anything related to their welfare. This can include proof of your employment, proof you can supply daycare, and anything that would show that you can take care of the children during the times that were normally designated for the spouse. For example, if your ex-spouse currently has weekend custody and provides daycare for some of that time, you will need to provide proof you can do the same.

Past Court Decrees

A vital piece of information you will need to bring with you to the consultation with the family lawyer is documentation of previous court decrees. For example you will need the paperwork showing what the current court order is for custody, child support, and anything else pertaining to the care and well-being of the children. If the court orders have been changed recently, you will need to bring documents showing that change.

Having these documents and paperwork can help speed up the process to getting you the court date you need and the decree you need for the child custody change. You may need other forms or information, but this will give you a solid stepping stone to get what you need out of the consultation and find out where to go from there.


Corporate Law: How to Hire and Fire

Hello, my name is Jenny. I am happily married and have two kids. A few years ago, I started a company with my husband. At first, it was just the two of us working away from home, but as the business took off we had to think about hiring more staff. The company grew in size from 2 people to 4 people to 10 people. Once the number of staff reached double figures, I realised that I needed to make sure that I had legal paperwork and contracts in place so I could hire and fire staff if need be. We hired a lawyer to work with us so we could make sure our business was well within the law.